Sunday, May 3, 2009

Custom Bridesmaid Dress

Pin It Now!
My friend was asked to be a bridesmaid, but needed a gown with sleeves. There are some great modest dress sites that offer a wide variety of dresses with sleeves, however, my friend needed the dress made in the exact same material as the other bridesmaid gowns. The formal wear store where the other girls purchased their dresses, also allows you to buy the fabric in 2 yard increments. (They don't advertise this, so you'll have to specifically ask them).

My friend and I sketched out the design she wanted, then I drew up the pattern and sewed away. In order to add a subtle elegant touch, I added cording around the neckline, bust and waist. The neckline is pleated with the intention of helping those of us who are less endowed up top. The skirt is just a simple A-line, but I cut it on the bias to give it a nice drape. Oh, and the dress is fully lined.

So here is the completed dress, modeled by yours truly (please forgive the bathroom backdrop... taking pictures of myself is very tricky). The dress looks a lot better on my friend who is two inches taller, and has a bigger bust that me (ha! who doesn't?). Other than that, we have the same waist and hip measurements.

4 comments:

Rishelle said...

That is impressive Jodi. The dress is beautiful. By the way I wear my apron like everyday because it looks nicer than most of my clothes!

Pamela said...

You are freaking amazing...I love the dress, and you look beautiful in it!

Heather said...

You did such an amazing job!!! You are awesome.

Mamie said...

jodi, you are too amazing.