Friday, January 13, 2012

Tea and Crumpets Apron

Pin It Now!
I love Anthro's Tea and Crumpets apron. So much so that I based last year's Easter dresses on its beautiful and timeless style. This is an apron that I recently made as a wedding gift. I'll admit that I was tempted to keep it for myself. But I know it went to a good home, so I was content giving it away.

I think the first real thing I sewed was an apron... they truly are the perfect "first sewing project" for those wanting to learn basic sewing. They introduce gathering, pockets, ruffles, and piecing patterns all on a basic level. If you'd like to sew this apron, you can easily adapt my ruffle apron tutorial (link) to add the tuxedo ruffles. Happy sewing!


7 comments:

Tricia said...

I love it, and the fabric choices. I've made many an apron to give away for gifts, but somehow I'm still left without one. I need to break down and just make one for myself.

Kelsey said...

Oh my- this is the cutest. I will be sending this idea to my mom for us to create the next time I head home!

imsteelefullofscrap said...

Just found y ou on pinterest love your blog where can I sign up so I do not miss any of your posts??

blue roses said...

i embroider, and occasionally alter pieces from church sales (cheap, so who cares if i mess up), but am so nervous about starting a more extensive project.

an apron is a great idea!

http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

Jodell said...

@ imsteelefullofscrap, I think the follow link is on the far right column of my blog :)

EmJayBee said...

Is there any way you could give a little more direction about adding the ruffles. I LOVE the anthro aprons, but thought hey I could make that. Except that I'm not so great at ruffling/ gathering, so I'd appreciate any tips that you are willing to share.

Jodell said...

@ EmJayBee - For the tuxedo ruffles, I cut long strips of the same cotton fabric as the top and finished both long edges with a rolled hem on a serger. If you don't have a serger, you'll want to finished the edges by folding/pressing twice and top stitching. To ruffle, you'll want to set your sewing machine on a baste stitch. Some machines will gather automatically if you increase the upper thread tension as high as it will go. If not, then you will have to baste stitch and hand gather by pulling the baste stitch thread. After gathering, press the ruffles with a hot iron so they lay flat. This will help you pin the ruffles in place on your apron bib and stitch in place. Happy sewing!