Monday, June 15, 2009

Family Silhouettes

Pin It Now! Many of you know that I'm not much of a decorator, but I really, really wanted to display some cool silhouette portraits in our home. These are super easy to make... truly, the most difficult part was getting the kids to NOT look at the camera so I could get a good profile picture of them.

I had a hard time finding oval frames that I liked, so I used just plain old oval wood cutouts found in the wood craft section of Hobby Lobby ($2.99 each). I slapped a couple of coats of black acrylic paint on them and let them dry. After taking the silhouette pictures, I sized and printed them off in black and white, taped it to a black piece of cardstock and cut them out. I'm sure there are a lot of different application options, but I used Perfect Paper Adhesive because it acts as a glue, sealant and offers UV protection.

Cut out an oval from printed scrapbook cardstock and have it and your silhouette cutout handy. Quickly apply a thin, even coat of the adhesive all over the top of the wooden oval. Center and press the oval paper onto the wood. Repeat, applying more adhesive over the entire oval paper and center and press on your silhouette cutout. If you apply your adhesive too thick, it will wrinkle and pucker your silhouette, so keep it thin! Allow to dry and apply another coat all over the frame, including the wooden sides. Allow to dry and apply more coats of adhesive as desired (I only did one because I'm lazy like that). For hanging, I just hammered in some frame "teeth" on the back.

I decided to hang them in the stairway. This concludes my decorating project for the year.

This is how Denny and Ashlyn entertain themselves while I'm crafting.

Ashlyn loves her big brother so much. I'm so grateful that they play so well together.

10 comments:

Rachel said...

They look great!
I think it's so cute Ashlyn let's her brother do her hair!

Jessica said...

cool idea. my mom's group has been toying around with the idea of doing silhouettes, but i was not sure what we'd do with them. this is great.

Janell said...

Those are so cute! You're so crafty and the kids are adorable as always!

Pamela said...

Awesome! Awesome! I've been meaning to be make these silhouettes!! Thanks so much for posting this.

:) Pamela

-Veronica said...

I love them!!! I think I might have to try this!

Lunasa Designs Jewelry said...

Very cool! I think I'll try the silhouette idea! I wish my kids played that well together! 3 boys though and they think wrestling (and destroying the house) is getting along. ;)

Jessica Croker said...

Jodi-
Barry just told me about your blog and I'm amazed and so excited to have found it!! I've been thinking about making silhouettes of our family for eons and now after seeing how simple and easy yours were I'm going to do it ASAP!

christa elyce said...

omgawsh! i had an idea of doing that a few months ago...had i done it it still wouldn't have looked as amazing as yours! awesome!

Linda said...

So cute! So much talent in you!

Anajá Schmitz said...

Lindos seus quadro. Me deste uma dica preciosa, vou fazer de nossa família.
Tenha uma ótima semana.